Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Modify Modify Modify

First things first, I lost 2lbs from yesterday morning til this morning.  Water weight is coming off as it should.

I hear people all the time tell me that p90x is too hard and they're considering it when they get into better shape.  I'm hear to tell you that you don't have to be in p90x shape to do this program!




One of my favorite things is that Tony starts off saying "hey, this is tough.. do your best" so, that's what I do.  I do my best.   I love that the super fit muscle-y people are huffing and puffing along with me.  

The specifics are going to vary person to person, but here's what *I* do.  Remember, I started doing p90x when I was 330lbs.  I had already lost 50lbs of baby weight and I hadn't really exercised in a very long time. Obviously, most people won't have to make such drastic modifications.




Disc 1 chest and back-- I still can't do a proper push-up.  When I started I was doing push-ups on the wall. When I got a little stronger I did them on the stairs so that I had more resistance.  I can do 10-12 girly push-ups on my knees now.  It doesn't sound like much, but I started standing and doing them against the wall! The idea of my doing girly push-ups made me laugh.  There was no way I'd ever be able to do those.  Next goal... real push-ups.

Disc 2  Plyo--- This one you really have to be careful and know your limits.  I've heard of plenty of injuries from people doing plyometrics.  Be careful! The warm up is very important, don't skimp here.  You really do have to be in the game.  Pam shows modified moves.  Watch her.  She shows you how to step through and take the high impact out.  I still have an unnatural fear of jump knee tucks.. so I hop like a bunny.  LOL.. Ok that sounds dumber now that I've typed it out (I even do my hands like a bunny too)  but it's true.  The point is do your best.  I can do about 17 seconds of Mary Catherine lunges, then I've gotta start stepping.  I do my best and forget the rest.  To this day I rarely finish plyo.  I get beat down after military march.  But that's ok.  Really, doing 30 or 40 min is way better than not hitting play in the first place.  You don't have to be perfect.  Just do it!

Disc 3 shoulders and arms  There's not really any modifications for this one.  Just remember if you're doing more than 15 reps it's time to up the weight.  Girls don't bulk up like guys, don't be afraid of a bigger weight.

Disc 4-- YogaX  Ha! Do your best and forget the rest.  Some of these are just physically impossible because of my belly.  I used to get mad and turn the dvd off, but I got over my tantrum and decided to stick with it.  I do about 20 min of vinyasas then I do all the balance poses I can.  Things like the back bend I just fast forward through.  I know my limits and that's just not in the cards right now!

Disc 5-- Legs and back.. I REALLY love legs and back.  Back when I was working out with the now ex, this is where I shined.  He was better at EVERYTHING.. until it came to lunges lol.  The first time I did this workout I was sore for 2 days.  I highly recommend not adding any weight til you've done it a time or 2 and know what you're getting in to! Just remember if they do 25 balance lunges, there's no shame in doing 15.  You still got up and did it.

Disc 6 KenpoX-- another cardio disc.  I don't know that there's a good way to modify this either, but this is so individual that it is easy to know your limits and do what you can.  I suck at the kicks and rarely get all of them in, So what? I still get points for hitting play.  I get more points for working my ass off.  I don't expect to be able to do what they do.

Disc 7 X Stretch--  Do what you can do.  Don't give up or get discouraged if you're not as freakishly flexible as Shawna.

Disc 8- Core synergistics.  There's a good chunk of this dvd that I can't do.  It still makes me happy.  What makes me even happier is that every time I hit play, I can do more and more of it.  It really is remarkable to me! If I REALLY can't do something I hit fast forward.  BUT, I try every exercise every time.  I'm often surprised that I *can* do something I couldn't before, and that's a great feeling.

Disc 9- Chest shoulders and triceps -- This one is considerably more difficult than chest and back for me.  There are a lot of fancy push-ups that I am not cut out for, so I do them on the wall.  When I feel like I need more resistance I move my feet back to increase my range of motion.

Disc 10- Back and Biceps--No real modifications here either.  I use resistance bands because I'm not pull-up bar ready!

Disc 11- CardioX-  I really enjoy cardioX.  It's 20 min of yoga, 20 min of Kenpo and 20 min of plyo.  When I'm doing doubles I try to do cardioX as my second workout.

Disc 12- Ab Ripper X - Oh my.  I can attempt 1/2 of the 15 min workout! I don't get all the moves in during that first 1/2 either.  I do my best, and I've found that I can do more and more every time.  When I first started I couldn't do 3 "In and Outs" Now I can do 20.  Seeing progress is nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment